Wednesday, November 18, 2009

and then it hit me...

The swine flu and I have developed an understanding.

I have to admit that I didn't really buy into the h1n1 hype. I've developed a healthy skepticism about the media and its sensationalism. The swine flu fit neatly into the category of 'over-hyped b.s.'.

Which is why, I suppose, it's a bit poetic that h1n1 levelled me.

I take pride in my relative good health. I've developed teacher's immunity - after a few years surrounded by disease riddled teenagers germs start to bounce off you.

So when I developed a sniffle a couple of weeks ago I expected it to pass after a good night's sleep.

A good night's sleep came and went. By morning I thought I would die.

A week later - after successfully dragging myself to my feet and without tipping over - I felt safe declaring victory without it turning into a mission-accomplished moment.

I still hold that the threat is hyped up. I have my doubts it will kill us all. But I respect it in the way you respect the muttering guy on the corner - he's most likely harmless, but its probably best to give him his distance.

If you need me, you can find me at the farm, battening down the hatches for the next time panic-inducing illness strikes.

Happy h1n1 free Wednesday from Alberta's brush plain.

1 comment:

  1. I went to Google maps and you do live in a small place. Take care, Ken

    ReplyDelete