Thursday, April 2, 2009

things that go bump and screech and howl in the night.

Something strange has been happening.

Maybe it's because the climate is changing; maybe it's because of increased development along the foothills and mountains; maybe it's because there are fewer people to chase them away but the wildlife has been changing in my neck of the woods.

This past Tuesday on our way into Red Deer we came across a herd of four elk just on the other side of Mackenzie Crossing near Big Valley - before that I had only seen elk in the west country. For them to be wandering wild so close to our home boggles the mind.

Perhaps it's not that strange for elk to run across the grasslands of Central Alberta again - I believe that at one time it was part of their range anyway: but how about this; every month or so we hear reports of bears in the neighbourhood. Now, I don't think that I'd even heard stories of bear near Endiang before, but glimpses of shaggy black creatures far off in a coulee have convinced me the sightings might be real.

Moose, deer, bears, elk, raccoons - we have them all now. Some people even say there's wolves in the hills to the west: I'm inclined to disbelieve those particular claims, but after I heard howling that sounded a bit, shall we say, wolf-ier than coyotes I'm willing to give some truth to the claim.

I guess it's a side effect of the continued depopulation of the region, as well as the continued suppression of the prairie fires that used to restrict the brush to small pockets here and there.

My question is this: is this a change to bemoan because it speaks of the decline of an area, or should I be happy because nature's taking back what's hers?

I think for now I'm just going to enjoy it- it's a few more footprints to learn, a few new sounds to recognize.

But one thing I know - if I go out in the woods to day, I'm in for a big surprise.

And yes, dear reader, have no fear: if I go out in the woods to day, I'll be sure to go in disguise...

No comments:

Post a Comment