Wednesday, June 3, 2009

the post that isn't really formatted but i'm sure you'll all get over it

Since all of you are, I'm sure, avid news followers I think it's safe to assume that you are well aware that Bill 44 has passed third reading. Which for me poses an interesting problem. You see, I have absolutely no intention of changing the way I teach my classes. I try very hard to cover all aspects of any issue that comes up in class - there are really no issues that I refuse to address. As a result, I expect to be hauled before a human rights tribunal any time now. I'm all for parents' right to influence what their children learn - even if the greater society disagrees with those parents' decision. Already governments exercise too much influence over our family lives: the act of raising children has become less of a family matter and more of an exercise in bureaucratic gymnastics. But if you make the conscious decision to send your children to a public school it should be assumed that you accept the curriculum that school offers. If you disagree with the curriculum, there are lots of other education options open to you. As a teacher in the public school system, I am well aware that I am an employee of the state. As such, I am contracted to teach the government sanctioned curriculum, a curriculum that is already filled with biases and propaganda. I don't like it, but I consider myself to be an honest individual who fulfills his obligations: I teach the curriculum as it stands. But at the same time I follow the practice of critical pedagogy and encourage students to always think critically, never accept 'facts' at face value, and to draw their own conclusions regarding the issues they are presented with. The ATA naively takes the position that public education is a forum for free thought and open conversation. It would be lovely if that were true: it would also be lovely if lollipops grew on trees and leprechauns would sweep the floor for me. Some things just aren't going to happen. Public schools will always be a creature of the state and the state will always engage in some form of oppression - truly free thought can never exist in such an environment. The real issue with Bill 44 (and Bill 19 and many other bills before the legislature this session) is that it gives the government the ability to exercise enormous powers over an ever-widening sphere of influence. The checks on their powers are slowly being removed. "But Stu," you exclaim, "the government assures us they would never use those powers. It's not in the spirit of what they're trying to do." Ah, dear reader, that is true. Unlike many other liberal-minded individuals in this province, I choose not to paint the Conservatives as a walking force of evil, in league with the devil himself (amongst a host of lesser demons). I do think that, for the most part, elected Conservatives in Alberta believe they are working for the good. The scary thought is that the Conservatives assume they will be able to withhold themselves from using the full extent of the powers they have given themselves. In general, I don't trust any government any farther than I can throw them: if the temptation is there, eventually somebody will give in to it. On a happier note: the government has yet to find a way to legislate the weather, so enjoy the sunny day. Regards from Alberta's brush plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment