Monday, June 15, 2009

scots abroad


As the summer approaches my thoughts turn to matters Scottish.

Because for most of my lifetime my summers have been regularly punctuated by highland games.

Other than the short time I spent in Scotland a few years ago, I have very little first-hand knowledge of the country. Popular wisdom states the country is generally wet and cool. Experience teaches that isn't too far off the mark.

Which makes one wonder why, when they first arrived on the prairies, a group of Scottish settlers (pining for the old country, one assumes) decided it would be grand to wrap themselves in wool and play bagpipes all day during the hottest part of the year.

Common sense would seem to dictate a more Scottish-esque time of year would be appropriate. Common sense was apparently uncommon among early Scottish settlers.

Had they been able to see what would happen to their hallowed highland games, these prairie Scots may have thought twice about their decision: at today's highland games it is only too easy to find people sporting cowboy hats, sunglasses, tank tops, and - a personal favourite - flip flop sandals with the kilt.

As I look out the window today at the thirty degree heat the sweat begins to run down my spine. To think that in two weeks time I will wrap the old kilt around my middle and blast the pipes away under the prairie sun - I grow faint at the prospect.

Dear reader, you may ask yourself why we Scots choose to do this to ourselves.

The answer, my friends, at the end of the day when we peel of our kilts and socks and return to our native dress of shorts and sandals we get to remind ourselves of one comforting fact - at least we're not English.

Which in my case isn't strictly true. But you can't blame a guy for trying.

Regards from Alberta's brush plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment