Thursday, June 18, 2009

the too many roosters blues

The roosters are beginning to crow.

It's not really a surprise. When one acquires chickens one tends to acquire a rooster or two as well. Roosters, for their part, are noted for a number of activities, crowing being chief among them.

The real problem is our rooster to hen ratio - while most people would consider one or two roosters sufficient for a little flock of sixteen, our flock contains seven. Seven roosters to nine hens is not what you might call a good ratio.

Good sense and practicality state that the best course of action would be to send the poorest roosters to the pot. Strengthen the herd and whatnot.

I'm a practical person: I have a lot of good sense and I tend not to be overly sentimental. But the thought of condemning my extra roosters makes me shudder.

Which is an unusual problem for me. Having spent my whole life around farm animals I'm quite used to the fact that, sometimes, they get eaten. I treat them well.; I feed them well; I give them the best life I can. There's no reason to be sentimental and weepy about it.

But the problem remains: I simply can't have so many roosters around the place.

I know in the end a decision will have to be made. I know in the end whatever I decide will work out just fine.

In the meantime, however, I'm going to give in to my natural inclinations and resort to fretting.

If you need me, you can find me in the barn conversing with the roosters. And you can bet we'll be trying to find enough hot chicks for them all.

1 comment:

  1. mmmmm. Coq au Vin. Fresh from the coop to the table. I'm in!

    ReplyDelete